Himal Southasian, the region’s pioneering digital magazine of politics and culture, verifies every fact in every article it publishes. We are looking to hire a dedicated researcher/fact checker to do this job, working with the editorial team and reporting to the Editor.
1. You will be responsible for finding sources to verify the accuracy of what we publish, across the full range of Himal articles.
2. You will be creative in seeking out information from all manner of sources, including journalistic reports in the public domain, documents produced by government and non-government bodies, books/previews available online and academic works – and able to come up with new ideas when none of these produce results.
3. You will be a fast worker, ensuring the timely fact checking of all the content the team is working on.
4. You will be a collaborative worker, able to play an active part in the editorial team, assisting the editors with necessary research around any of the articles or projects we’re working on.
5. You will provide support to other aspects of our publication process as needed.
1. An interest in politics, culture and journalism in Southasia.
2. Strong written and spoken English-language skills.
3. An interest in meticulous detail and the ability to exercise sound judgment in your choice of sources and process of verification, in consultation with the editors.
4. Facility with online searching.
1. Some experience in digital journalism, editing, reporting, researching or writing will be an advantage.
2. Candidates with experience working for academic journals or unusual work/ independent research projects are also encouraged to apply.
There will be further training on-the-job.
Contract duration: One year with possible extension if performance is satisfactory. The position, based in Colombo, Sri Lanka, is open from May 2019, subject to the candidate’s availability. Candidates must already have the right to work in Sri Lanka.
Salary: LKR 80,000 – 85,000 based on skills, ability, experience and proven performance. The amount given is prior to all statutory deductions. Part-time salary will be calculated pro rata.
To apply: Send us your CV, along with 500-600 words describing why you are interested to work at Himal and how your skills and experience fit the job at hand. Send these documents to email@example.com under the subject line FACT CHECKER APPLICATION.
Deadline: There is no final deadline for this post as we will remain open to applications as long as the position is open in part or full. However, we will start assessing applications from 10 April 2019. The work is expected to begin in May 2019.
Shortlisted candidates can expect a brief interview and a fact-checking test at the Himal office, followed by a further interview on a subsequent date for candidates who perform well on the test. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.